[Cvsnt] Need help bad: cvs clients can't login to my win2kpro cvs server

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Thu Jan 31 20:28:45 GMT 2002

On Thu, 31 Jan 2002 20:01:01 +0000 (UTC), "Christopher Shreve"
<cshreve at fulcrum.net> wrote:

>created a user called 'xyz'...this is the who the cvs server runs as.
>the environment variables for 'xyz' are :
>HOME=C:\
>TEMP=C:\WINNT\TEMP
>TMP=C:\WINNT\TEMP

The C:\winnt\temp dir is not accessible to all in Win 2000, you should
create a different directory such as c:\temp and set access
permissions to full control for everybody on this. Use this as the
CVSNT temp dir.

>The CVSROOT is C:\cvsroot
>
>The config file (which I've checked into CVS) has the line
>SystemAuth=no
>
>I have a .passwd file (In both C:\ AND C:\cvsroot) that has the
>following entry
>joeblo:ycVYvYBZFWHXo

The file should be C:\CVSROOT\CVSROOT\passwd
(assuming that you mean that the repository starts at C:\CVSROOT)
There is no period in front of the file name! You are maybe confusing
things with the .cvspass file WinCvs keeps in its home directory to
cache the passwords for the various servers you visit...

>joeblo is not a windows user or a domain user! However I *THINK* that if
>I have this entry in this file then CVS will auth against it. IS this
>right?

No it is not! You MUST have a valid system user to be able to use CVS.
But in the passwd file you can alias the CVS login to a real user by
this format
cvsloginuser:<encrypted password>:realsystemuser

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)