[Cvsnt] Help needed with Creating a Branch

ahamil01 at uoguelph.ca ahamil01 at uoguelph.ca
Sun Jul 7 19:08:00 BST 2002

With comments from various people, I found that problems of the form:

> cvs [rtag aborted]: cannot rename file
> d:\Groups\2002\project\team041\Zero41/,Zero41.cpp, to
> d:\Groups\2002\project\team041\Zero41/Zero41.cpp,v: File exists

Do seem to have to do with the CVSNT server leaving a dangling
lock file in the temp directory it is using.

Given enough time (in my case, when I checked back the next day),
CVSNT will resolve the problem on its own.  A faster "fix" is to
stop the server, clean the temp directory and restart the server;
this is obviously a bit cumbersome, but I'm now sure what else
you can do.

The devguy site:
    http://www.devguy.com/fp/cfgmgmt/cvs/cvs_admin_nt.htm#Maintenance
suggests that regular maintainence of this sort may be necessary;
I have not found it to be so myself.

I have a feeling that the issue stems from a mis-handled user
interrupt of a task.  I beleive that the file in question may have
had a "diff" going on earlier which was aborted.  I have not had
the chance to compare the CVSNT behaviour in this situation to
that when a legitimate lock is in place for an extended period
of time.

Thanks to everyone who sent mail with suggestions and comments,
Andrew.