[Cvsnt] Connection to CVS NT server over SSH from WinCVS

Mykhailo Rudnichenko mr at os-it.com
Fri Jul 5 13:36:21 BST 2002

Hello cvsnt,

  I installed on local PC SSH client and SSH server and had
  succesfully conected from client to server.
  Also I has WinCVS and CVS NT on this PC.
  When I use ntserver protocol I can succesfully import and checkout
  projects between WinCVS and CVS NT.
  But when I set SSH as protocol and configure WinCVS in such way:

1)Set CVSROOT to
:ext:username at servername:/cvsroot
2) Set Authentication to ssh
3) In Settings dialog... (for the ssh protocol)
Click "If ssh is not in the PATH" and enter path for plink.exe
For "additional SSH options" enter:
-ssh -pw MYPASSWORD
and trying to checkout project I receive error messages:
in like console window

Access denied
Access denied
FATAL ERROR: Server sent disconnect message
type 2 (SSH_DISCONNECT_PROTOCOL_ERROR):
"Too many authentication failures for mr"

and in WinCVS output window:

NEW CVSROOT: :ext:mr at 192.168.3.16:e:/temp/CVS_repository (ssh authentication)
cvs checkout -P CVS_Docs (in directory E:\temp\Working_folder)
cvs checkout: warning: unrecognized response `mr at 192.168.3.16's password:
' from cvs server
cvs checkout: warning: unrecognized response `mr at 192.168.3.16's password:
' from cvs server

If I use passwordless perl script my_ssh_cvs.pl
system("plink.exe", "-ssh", "-pw", "YOURPASSWORD", @ARGV);

I receive following output:

NEW CVSROOT: :ext:mr at 192.168.3.16:e:/temp/CVS_repository (ssh authentication)
cvs checkout -P CVS_Docs (in directory E:\temp\Working_folder)
cvs [checkout aborted]: Connection to server failed

BUT if i try ALL this in command prompt mode, I mean connection to SSH
server using plink and using script everything is Ok.

Seems in unknown for me reason CVS don't use plink correctly.
Where is troubles???

--
Best regards,
 Mykhailo                          mailto:mr at os-it.com