[Cvsnt] cvsweb: Error: Failed to spawn GNU rlog on......SOLUTION (and a small problem of my own)

Arvind Raman arvind_raman_tech at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 7 06:59:12 BST 2002

Arthur,

Thanks a lot for your help. Well I orginally was
working with the same zip file that you sent, so the
rcs distribution files definitely were not the
problem. Thanks to Mathew who sent me a RCS file which
was getting "rlogged" i discovered what the problem
was.
Any RCS file has an entry similar to this for each
revision of the file

date    2000.03.10.12.32.30;author arvind;state Exp;

If the name of the author is a numerical value for
instance the employee number of an organization, rlog
seems to fail. So the same line if changed as shown
below seems to fail.

date    2000.03.10.12.32.30;author 1000;state Exp;

After making the above change rlog has been working
perfectly fine, BUT i seriously feel that this is an
issue and definitely needs to be fixed.

I am now able to view the revisions and sort the
revisions of the file but when I click on the revision
number to view the file I get the following error.

Error: Unexpected output from cvs co: cvs [checkout
aborted]: EOF in value in RCS file
c:\cvs\ExerciseRoot\exercise\100027\src/main.c,v
Check whether the directory
c:/cvs/ExerciseRoot/CVSROOT exists and the script has
write-access to the CVSROOT/history file if it exists.
The script needs to place lock files in the directory
the file is in as well.

cvs -dc:/cvs/ExerciseRoot co -p -r1.3
"exercise/100027/src/main.c"

I am trying to work on the following problem now. If
you have any suggestions do let me know.

Thanks a lot Mathew for the help. Without that file I
guess I would have never figured it out :)

regards
Arvind

--- Arthur Barrett <arthur.barrett at march-hare.com>
wrote:
> Arvind,
>
> I have not seen this particular error message from
> rlog before.
>
> However problems with "failed to spawn GNU rlog on"
> are commonly reported.
> I have always the same copy of rcstools which always
> seems to work.
>
> Try this copy of rlog instead.
>
> Regs,
>

> Arthur Barrett
>  <<rcs57nt.zip>>
>
> > ----------

c:/cvs/ExerciseRoot/exercise/100027/src/NewCvsFile.txt,v'
> > did you set the $ENV{PATH} in your configuration
> file
> > correctly ?
> >
> > I have rlog installed from the rcs distribution
> > referred by 'devguy'. I tried rlogging the files
> > separately from the command prompt and got the
> > following error message, though the RCS file has
> an
> > entry for the author field on line number 14.
> >

> C:/cvs/ExerciseRoot/exercise/100027/src/main.c,v:14:
> > missing author
> > rlog aborted
> >
> > What is wrong in my setup ?
> >
> > regards