[Cvsnt] Regarding diff (cvs)

Oliver Giesen giesen at lucatec.de
Wed Jul 31 12:22:16 BST 2002

> Actually when i check the file default.asp to find out what
> is the difference in cvs server 2 programers made the changes
> thru wincvs client diff option ,

What exactly are you talking about? You cannot make changes to file
using diff. It's only a tool to _see_ differences between two files or
in this case two revisions of the same file. Unless of course you use
an external diff tool which also has editing/merging capabilities but
you would still have to commit the modified files first before anyone
else could see the changes.

> the message did n't appear
> in the lower panel of wincvs.

What message?

> if i upload csdiff.exe in the cvs server is this problem will
> solved and whether we have to upload csdiff.exe in all the
> client systems where wincvs is using.

Are you talking about CSDiff from Component Software? I don't see how
that would affect the server at all. Installing it on the clients is
probably more convenient than using the built-in unix-diff but that's
about it.

> Also sugess what are the other components to be installed in
> the cvs server and client systems for merging the files etc.

Merging is done automatically by CVS whenever you either use the -j
option on update or checkout or you run update on a locally modified
file, when the server has a newer revision. There's no need to install
anything to make use of this functionality. On the client side it
might help to use some kind of conflict resolving utility (although I
myself haven't yet found anything useful in that respect). In any case
it's all mere convenience. The core functionality of diffing and
merging is built into CVS. Everything else is just intended to improve
usability.

Maybe you could just try to rephrase your question?

Oliver
JID:	ogiesen at jabber.org
ICQ:	18777742
Y! :	ogiesen