[Cvsnt] Problem in setting up cvs 1.11.1.3

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sat Jun 1 05:58:23 BST 2002

On Sat, 1 Jun 2002 01:04:41 +0000 (UTC), Samuel Cheung
<sy_cheung at yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I download cvs 1.11.1.3 on my Window 2000 machine.
>Here is what I did:
>* create a respitory in c:\cvs
>* add a file "passwd" in c:\cvs\CVSROOT with the line
>anonymous:yZqwJpuWKwbsI (the actual password is
>"anonymous")
>* uncomment SystemAuth=no in the "config" file.
>
>But when I use my cvs client to connect to the CVS
>server
>it said "anonymous: no such user".
>
>Could some one please tell me what did I miss?
>
>Thanks.
>Sam

There must be a *real* system user named 'anonymous' on your W2000
system for this to work. Another way is to change the line in passwd
to:
anonymous:yZqwJpuWKwbsI:sam
where 'sam' of course it your account name.
This will accept the anonymous login and cause anonymous to wor on the
system in your name....
It is called 'aliasing' the cvs user to the real user.
Also note that you don't need to manipulate the passwd file directly,
you can use the 'cvs passwd' command instead.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)