[Cvsnt] "edit -c" on a mac client?

Chris Spiller cspiller at explorelearning.com
Tue Jun 4 14:02:22 BST 2002

> >2) Does anyone know of any Mac client that can do "edit -c"
>
> No, but you can always add
>
>    edit -c
>
> to your .cvsrc file.

I have tried this, as well as using the command line window from the Mac GUI
to type in "cvs edit -c <filename>" and it seems the MAC client tries to
handle the "edit -c" command but can't.  It just spits out the "correct
format" for the edit command: "edit -lR a" standard options and explanation.
My understanding of the .cvsrc file was that it set the default switches for
commands (so that if I used the above .cvsrc file when I type "edit" it is
the equivilent of typing "edit -c"), but I may be misunderstanding the
.cvsrc file.

Should I be able to execute "edit -c <filename>" from the MacCVS "command
line window" when it is connected to a CVSNT server?  I would have thought,
but...
Is there perhaps a workaround macro I could write using simple cvs commands
on the Mac to check if a file is being edited by someone else before editing
it; basically a:

if <filename> has no editors
then edit <filename>
else throw error

type of macro.

And if it seems this is no longer an appropriate thread for this list, I'll
happily search for another.

Thanks,
Chris