[Cvsnt] cvs import problem

Matthias Mohr MMohr at SysDesign-EDV.de
Wed Jun 5 20:11:06 BST 2002

> >I try to import a complete directory-structure into an existing repository.
> >This contains binaries as well as source-files.
> >
> >I do it with the following steps:
> >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >> cd dir2import
> >> cvs -d :pserver:id at srv:/repository import -m "imported" repsubdir/imported VEND R1_0_0
> >I repsubdir/imported/file1.exe
> >I repsubdir/imported/file1.c
> >I repsubdir/imported/ReadMe.txt
>
> If anything it shouldn't have attempted to even run the command, as
> the syntax is incorrect.  You can't import a subdirectory - it doesn't
> make any sense.  You only import modules.
You confuse me totally ??!

Here is something from the CVS FAQ:
        "cd" into your source directory and type:
            cvs import -m "Message" [repos] [Vendor-Tag] [Release-Tag]
        where [repos] is the relative directory pathname WITHIN THE
        REPOSITORY that corresponds to the sources you are importing.
[..]
        For example, if the FSF, CVS, Make and I are still active in the
        year 2015, I'll import version 89.53 of GNU make this way:
          cvs import -m "GNUmake V89.53" gnu/make GNU GNUMAKE_89_53
For me in this example the whole gnu-make directory-structure (which is
present in the current directory)  will be imported in the repository-subdir
"gnu/make" of the repository which is set with the CVSROOT-variable.
And that is exactly what I wanted to do, import a complete directory-structure
to a repository-dir.

So I don't understand what's wrong with my command and why it should only
be possible to add single files ?????

with regards,
Matthias