[Cvsnt] cvs import problem

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Fri Jun 7 16:16:35 BST 2002

What you don't realize is that the import command cannot create the
top folder if it does not exist. It creates folders downwards. (I
think)

So given that you have a folder with subfolders that you want to
import to CVS, but not as a new module but rather as a submodule on an
*existing* module then you can do so by specifying the location of the
new submodule using the topmodule/submodule notation as the
destination. BUT the topmodule *must* exist as a valid module and I
believe that you must spell it *exactly* as it is named in the
repository too.
I just did a test of this and it works quite well through WinCvs. Here
is the final command that WinCvs showed in the command window (wrapped
to two lines here):

cvs -z9 import -I ! -I CVS -I *.exe -I *.zip -m "no message"
ModuleXX/imptest avendor arelease (in directory C:\Temp\bb)

I have no clue as to the arguments -I ! -I CVS that appears...

In any case this import produced a subfolder in the existing module
MonuleXX just as I specified.

/Bo

On Fri, 7 Jun 2002 13:53:23 +0000 (UTC), "Matthias Mohr"
<MMohr at SysDesign-EDV.de> wrote:

>> Import is for adding entire new trees.  You specify the module name to
>> add, and do 'import' from within the directory you wish to add.
>>
>> The FAQ sounds wrong to me.    Import always imports from the current
>> directory downwards.
>But that's what I try to do, or not ?
>What exactly sounds wrong to you in the FAQ ?
>And I'm pretty sure, that I already did it exactly like written with original
>CVS client and server...
>
>with regards,
>Matthias

(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)