[Cvsnt] pserver error on Win2K

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Fri Jun 14 08:18:17 BST 2002

Hi,
I am sorry to hear this. On my W2K machines everything runs fine, so there must be
some problem either in the latest distro of CVSNT (my production servers are on an
earlier version since I will not touch them except at major release points).
When I did the instruction document there had been numerous people complaining
about problems setting up on NT4, so I set out to try it myself and making notes
along the way. I had an NT4 WS box at home, which had not been touched by any of
my development tools etc, so it was pretty virgin (it has MS-Office 2000 installed
though, being really my wife's PC).
The installation of CVSNT on that box resulted in the document you refer to.
Lately I have seen a number of case reports where CVSNT crashes on the server
during fairly normal accesses, resulting in very strange error messages from the local
client (who, I suppose, cannot understand why the connection is suddenly broken).

This can come from various sources, one being that a system file of some kind is not
properly installed/updated during setup and this is noticed only on a PC that does not
have some other stuff installed. So it will always work on Tony's and my PC:s but not
on some PC:s out there. (Tony: could DOTNET influence this???)

Another case may be that there is really some operating system dependent function in
CVSNT that barfs out on W2K but not on NT4 (and it can be domain dependent too). This
might have been fixed in the development branch of CVSNT....

Let's hope that this will be fixed in the next CVSNT release and its setup. :-)

PS: What is WSAD??? DS

/Bo