[Cvsnt] Editor problem using CVSNT 1.11.1.3 build 57d on Win2K

Tony Hoyle tmh at nothing-on.tv
Mon Jun 17 13:04:22 BST 2002

On Mon, 17 Jun 2002 10:26:20 +0000 (UTC), "Anthony Williams"
<anthwil at nortelnetworks.com> wrote:

>run_exec (from src/run.c) starts the process, but determines its
>finished-ness by the availability or not of output on stdout and stderr,
>rather than using wait or waitpid. This means that if an editor such as
>gnuclient is used which has minimal output, then cvs assumes the program has
>finished before emacs has even loaded the file to edit.

It's actually based on whether the remote end has closed the
connection or not.  If the program is running but just not producing
output the read will return 0, and if it's terminated (closing the
standard pipes) the read returns -1.  It's basically the same code
that used to be in server.c.  I don't think you can use wait() in this
case as you have to feed the output from the program through the
cvs_stdout and cvs_stderr functions.