[Cvsnt] NTServer protocol and localhost

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed Mar 6 14:44:43 GMT 2002

On Wed, 6 Mar 2002 08:35:44 +0000 (UTC), "Anthony Williams"
<anthwil at nortelnetworks.com> wrote:

>"Bo Berglund" <bo.berglund at system3r.se> wrote in message
>news:3c7f096e.788373 at news.cvsnt.org...
>> On Thu, 28 Feb 2002 14:17:33 +0000 (UTC), "Anthony Williams"
>> <anthwil at nortelnetworks.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Is it possible to get the ntserver protocol working with localhost, or
>> >local-machine-name, especially when not connected to a network?
>> >
>> >Anthony
>>
>> A comment on 'not connected to network':
>> If you have a W2000 machine that is sometimes not connected to the
>> network (=laptop), then you will find that W2000 just unloads the
>> TCP/IP protocol completely and there is no more a localhost even. This
>> happens immediately you pull the network cable out of the NIC
>> socket.....
>> After struggling a bit with this I installed as a second 'NIC' the
>> Microsoft Loopback adapter. This is not dependent on the network cable
>> being plugged in and forces TCP/IP to be loaded all the time. After
>> that I have had no problem using CVSNT with my laptop's name in the
>> connect string (:ntserver:computername:/repository).
>
>How is your system set up? I tried the Loopback protocol (on NT4sp5), but
>got "unable to open named pipe" with ntserver. pserver seemed to connect OK,
>but all my users are aliases for domain users, and are rejected when not
>connected to the network (even though I can log in using the same domain
>user when not connected).
>
>Anthony

Well, it is quite simple:
- Laptop Compaq Armada E500 with built-in NIC
- Windows 2000 Pro, SP2
- TCP/IP will drop out totally if network cable removed....
- So I installed a MS Loopback adapter as the second NIC
- Assigned this adapter a bogus IP address
- I have no aliases set up in the passwd file (I am myself)

After this the network protocol (TCP/IP) never drops out and I can use
my laptop for all applications I develop that need network access
(winsock apps for example), which was not possible before.
I have always been able to use CVSNT locally by just setting the
connect to :ntserver:armadillo:<repository> where armadillo is my
laptop's name. But CVSNT was installed *after* I had the loopback
adapter installed, the TCP/IP disappearance was a problem about a year
before I started using CVS...

I did not quiet understand your wording above, are you saying that
others also use your CVSNT server even though it is on your laptop??

(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)