[Cvsnt] The PWGEN.exe command line utility

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at system3r.se
Sat Mar 2 07:10:22 GMT 2002

On Fri, 1 Mar 2002 11:12:43 +0000 (UTC), tmh at nothing-on.tv (Tony
Hoyle) wrote:

>On Fri, 1 Mar 2002 01:34:14 +0000 (UTC), "Barry Chalmers"
><barryc at infowest.com> wrote:
>
>>Could you tell me where to download the pwgen.exe command line utility,
>>or send it to me please?
>>
>Why would you need it, particularly.  cvs does its own password stuff
>now, and if you need to generate passwords for things like apache they
>have their own program to do the same thing (htpasswd).
>
>Tony

There is a catch-22 here! Unless you can log in to cvsnt you are
unable to set any passwords. But in order to log in the first user in
the passwd file must have a password entry recorded in the file. An
empty password is not accepted.
So it seems like you need the pwgen utility in order to create the
very first user password after all.
I tried using ntserver as cvsroot but then when I used the cvs passwd
command to add a user cvsnt complained about an invalid cvsroot. The
only way I could find to use the cvs passwd command was using the
pserver protocol. So how is the very first user created???

Bo Berglund
bo.berglund at system3r.se