[Cvsnt] Installation of CVSNT

Blair Christensen blair at mw-inc.com
Sat Mar 2 00:00:23 GMT 2002

Is there anyone who has a COMPLETE set of installation instructions for
installing both the server and the client for CVS?  What I have seen lacks
thorough instructions and relies on you having used the system before.  What
I need is something that makes NO inferences about my knowledge (or lack of
it) and walks through everything.  Screen shots would be nice, but can be
substituted for by explicit instructions.  I am NOT a UNIX/Linux user.  I am
an NT Admin.

I am trying to set up CVS on a brand new installation of Windows NT 4.0
SP6a.  I think I have installed the server, but can't find the syntax to
correctly connect from a client.  The server is called MW_RW and currently
has two two repositories:  c:\CVS and c:\sandbox which are registered and
show up when I bring up CVSNT from the control panel applet.

When I try to connect from the client, the farthest I've been able to get is
with the following:

cvs -d :pserver:mw_rw:cvs login

it allows me to login, then says there is no repository.  If I change the
repository to /cvs or c:/cvs, the command freaks out and doesn't execute.

I am really frustrated with the lack of step-by-step instructions which
DON'T leave anything out or say "Go here to see more about how to use THIS
file..."  Please tell me there is a SINGLE document I can get which explains
how to get running!!!

And if possible, please point me at another such thing where I can install
and configure SSH on the same box (to support remote work).  I found one and
the installation instructions are for Linux/UNIX.  Only about half of them
work under NT.  It looks like a port of Red Hat's code that a NON-Windows
geek tried to write instructions for.

Thanks for the help.
Blair Christensen