[Cvsnt] cvs login blows up

David Sandor dsandor at emailanywhere.net
Sat Mar 2 16:44:38 GMT 2002

I have been receiving an application error any time I attempt to run the
command 'cvs login'

I also have WINCVS on a remote machine that gets a login failure and an
'error 1'.
(Please note that drive 'z:' is not a network drive, it is a local 60
gig IDE drive, I just assigned the letter to z:)

NEW CVSROOT: dsandor at mail:/cvsRoot (password authentication)
cvs login
(Logging in to dsandor at mail)
/cvsRoot: no such repository
cvs login: authorization failed: server mail rejected access to /cvsRoot
for user dsandor
*****CVS exited normally with code 1*****

I am watching the process by using the cvsservice -test option and that
returns:
C:\Program Files\CVS for NT\sandbox>cvsservice -test
CVS 1.11.1.3 rc2 (Build 55) (Mar  1 2002) starting in test mode.
Adding repository z:/cvs/cvsroot
TEMP/TMP currently set to C:\WINNT\Temp
Initialising socket...ok
Impersonation is enabled
Starting auth server on port 2401/tcp...
CVS initialised successfully
0edbb782: Process 00000080 started
0edbb930: Process 00000080 terminated

So here is my configuration:

Windows 2000 SP2 + current hotfixes.
*** This machine has the Microsoft .NET Framework installed (Retail
Enterprise Architect Version) not the Visual Studio IDE.  It is used as
a development .net web server. (hence the need for CVS)
No antivirus software is installed.

Installation:
I followed 'devguy's install checklist.

Evironment Variables (I set them for system wide)
CVSROOT=:local:z:/cvs/cvsroot
HOME=z:/
Path=C:\WINNT\system32;C:\WINNT;C:\WINNT\System32\Wbem;C:\Program
Files\Microsoft SQL
Server\80\Tools\BINN;C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705;C:\Progr
am Files\CVS for NT
TEMP=c:\winnt\temp
TMP=c:\winnt\temp

I ran a 'cvs passwd' command and it asked me for a password and to
confirm.  Once I did that, I now have a passwd file with the contents:
dsandor:2iyvMCUrMx95g

Dsandor is my NT login account (admin privs.).  I wish to use the
pserver method of authentication (passwd file, right?)
Can someone point me in the right direction?  Should I attempt to
recompile the source using VS.net?  (VC++ 7)
Thanks,
David Sandor