[Cvsnt] Speed issue with cvsnt/wincvs

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at system3r.se
Mon Mar 4 08:40:25 GMT 2002

On Mon, 4 Mar 2002 08:12:30 +0000 (UTC), "Bertrand Denoix"
<bertrand.denoix at kalimagroup.com> wrote:

>Are you using the VPN in all cases, even to connect to Tony's server?
>I've read somewhere that VPNs can exhibit some quite pathological
>behavior in some cases, due to the duplication of the transport layer...

No, this is what I have done:
1. About a year ago I installed the CVSNT server (W2000 Pro) using the
release 1.10.8. I also instelled a VPN gateway to this LAN using a
W2000 server with RRAS.

2. During the past year I have connected to the remote LAN using this
standard VPN solution over Internet (DSL connection in both ends at
about 500-800 kbps).

3. I have checked out the cvsnt and cvsgui source trees from the
respective Internet servers using pserver in both cases with anonymous
user. Don't have write permissions anywhere here, so there is no need
for a VPN solution.

4. Now, this week I am back on the LAN and have updated the CVSNT
server to cvsnt 1.11.1.3 rc2 (Build 55) and I also set up the clients
with WinCVS 1.3.7.2 Beta 7. On these clients I replaced the cvs.exe
and the protocol dll:s with the ones from cvsnt.

When I do local LAN commits and graph commands it takes a very long
time to complete, between 30 and 60 seconds or more.

But when I try to graph against a file in the cvsnt tree with 40-50
revisions it completes in only a few seconds. This is done using the
exact same WinCvs client. The only major difference I can see is that
locally we are using ntserver authentication and for cvsnt I am using
pserver.
Hence my question on any speed differences caused by protocol
differences.

Note that the VPN connection has not been in use this week since I
have been on site, so this is plain and normal LAN access to a server
on the same network.

Bo Berglund
bo.berglund at system3r.se