[Cvsnt] RFC: Perl module VCS::CVS is being re-written

Ron Savage ron at savage.net.au
Fri Mar 8 05:26:52 GMT 2002

The re-write uses a CVSROOT = :local:e:/Repository
and hence _may_ also work with :pserver: etc.

The version of the cvs client I'm using often but not always says
:pserver: (or :ntserver:) is not supported by this build of cvs, whenever I try that.

I'm using Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 1.11.1.3 rc1 (Build 53) (client/server).

So, _apart_ from that, are there any other things missing from VCS::CVS V 2 you'd like in V3?

Already added:
1) return, always, a flag indicating the cvs exit status
2) return, if requested, all output from cvs, STDOUT and STDERR.
    Besides being saved, this output can be printed each time cvs is run,
    via a new parameter to new()
3) commit to take a list of files
4) generic interface to run cvs if canned options not enough
5) new() accepts path to cvs, for use eg, in CGI scripts
6) no files are read straight from the repository anymore, so remote repositories _should_ be ok
7) no files in repository are written to directly anymore, so remote repositories _should_ be ok
8) createRepository just calls 'cvs init'
9) code structure is modelled on Damian Conway's OOP book style. See sample p 114
--
Cheers
Ron Savage
ron at savage.net.au