[Cvsnt] Next release features

Brian Smith brian-l-smith at uiowa.edu
Sat Mar 9 01:56:22 GMT 2002

Tony Hoyle wrote:
> I plan the .4 release to be quite a significant upgrade, so I'm
> interested in the kinds of things people want in CVS that aren't in
> there now.
>
> In progress:
> Active directory integration
> Server side .cvsrc, etc.
> server can require/request encryption or compression.
> block certain commands from executing or limit to admins.

What I would like to do is create a seperate shared library that CVS
client applications (like WinCVS, TortoiseCVS, and the command-line CVS
client) can all use. The benefit is that applications written in other
languages (e.g. Java, C++, and scripting languages) would be easier to
integrate with the client. Also, there would be no need for CVS client
applications to communicate between themselves and cvs.exe with
(sometimes ugly) IPC mechanisms.

That would entail removing all the exit() calls so that the library
would not kill the application using the library. Instead, the code
would have to propagate errors back to the calling code through another
mechanism as the Windows API does.

This would also entail seperating the front-end of the client code from
the back-end. This eperation would also be a good opportunity to support
internationalizing the client.

> teach cvs what a directory is (medium)
> mergepoint tracking (medium)

Could you explain these two?

I would add repository integrity checking and atomic commits. I have an
idea for how to implement atomic commits that might not be that hard.

> Binary diff (no freely available algorythms to do this AFAIK).

I would really like this as well. There are papers describing some
binary diff algorithms, in particular XDelta. His master thesis and a
GPL'ed implementation is at
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=6966.

Thanks,
Brian