[Cvsnt] Next release features

Matthias Mohr MMohr at SysDesign-EDV.de
Wed Mar 13 20:34:42 GMT 2002

> >  so called "template" repositories, which can be used as base for new repositories
> >  and which can be selected when creating a new one (I know this can be done by
> >  copying the CVSROOT-directory but this is not "easy enough" :-)
>
> There will be server defaults for things like SystemAuth.  Some things
> (like LockDir) can't be replicated, so they'll stay where they are.
What I'm thinking about was not only the config-file (or the parameters in it), but all
the files from the CVSROOT-directory (of course only such things which make sense,
the LockDir does not make sentse). This should include the cvswrapper file and the
passwd file...

> >  it would also be nice to have an additional feature of "listing" several repositories from
> >  the client side, e.g. by setting the CVSROOT to something which is not a real repository,
> >  but a so called "super-repository".
>
> There are security issues with this...  Certainly you shouldn't even
> be able to authenticate with the server even anonymously without a
> valid CVSROOT.  Listing them could be something that could be added
> but it'd have to be disabled by default.
Maybe you could do it like follows:
  on the client-side the CVSROOT-variable is set to a "super-repository" and the user for
  that, e.g. ":pserver:user at machine:/super-repository"
  the user make a command like "cvs list"
  At the server-side the CVSNT-server goes through all repositories and tries to authenticate
  the given user with each repository. Then the CVSNT-server returns only information about
  that repositories, where the user was successful authenticated.
  For the repositories with unsuccessful authentication the CVSNT-server will NOT give back
  any information.
  It does not sound very easy, but I think it could be done...
Another possibility would be to have a seperate CVSROOT for super-repositories to which
  a given user will be authenticated. If successful, he will be able to get information of all
  sub-repositories beneath the super-repository.
  With that it would be able to have e.g. "department-repositories", where all department-members
   can list all repositories of their department...

> >  It would also be nice to have the control-panel entries for a server installed at remote
> >    workstations, so I can add and remove new repositories, start and stop the service, ...
> >    from other machines. There must be something in like "connect to server" where I
> >    can select different CVSNT-Servers and connect to them and see and change the
> >    settings of that server.
>
> I'm not sure why anyone would want to do that (since there's nothing
> on the control panel that changes beyond initial configuration) but
> it's possible.
I often add some new repositories and then you have to restart the CVSNT-service...

> >  An API to add some server-side binary diff functionality would also be nice (e.g. for
> >  common Windows file-formats like MS-Word and MS-Excel).
>
> That would be very hard to add because of the structure of the CVS
> core.  Maybe in the future.
Yes, I see....
But I just want to remember, that if a "binary-diff"-feature will be implemented, it should be
as flexible and configurable as the rest of CVS. And therefore I thought about "plugins" :-)

with regards,
Matthias