[Cvsnt] Next release features

Jonathan M. Gilligan jonathan.gilligan at vanderbilt.edu
Thu Mar 14 01:27:44 GMT 2002

Here is another wish:

The RCS file format is extensible (look at "newphrase" in rcsfile(5) and
doc/RCSFILES in the cvs source distribution).

I would propose that the .4 release take advantage of this extensibility to
implement some kind of error-checking for ,v files using CRC or hash
function. This could be accomplished via a new newphrase in the admin,
delta, and deltatext sections of the RCS file.

Such a check could help address the greatest problem I see with CVS: there
is no good way to check the integrity of a repository. This means that
corruption in repositories can go undetected for years until you try to
check out an old revision and discover that you cannot reconstruct it
because one or more of the difftexts between the head revision and the
target is corrupt.

Such a protocol would be very easy to implement, but would require very
careful design. I am too busy to address it at the moment, but would be
willing to work on this at some future date.