[Cvsnt] slow speed of WinCVS1.3b7

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sat Mar 9 18:23:33 GMT 2002

On Sat, 9 Mar 2002 11:45:27 +0000 (UTC), Leonid Krutyansky
<krut at orc.ru> wrote:

... snip ....

>Yes, the same problems with  WinCVS 1.3b7:
>
>The server (CVSNT 1.11.1.2) and the clients are on the same W2000 box
>(Celeron 800/256MB).  Pserver protocol. A graph of a file with 15
>revisions using the menu button:
>
>WinCVS 1.3.7.1b7 -    3 s
>WinCVS 1.2           <1 s
>
>Through the LAN with the same  CVSNT server. Both clients are on a very slow PC with W95:
>WinCVS 1.3.7.1b7 -    7 s
>WinCVS 1.2            4 s
>
> I see that the question is already discussed a lot.   Well, what is the
>solution? Change to 1.3b6?
>
>Leonia

Your times look real good by comparison to mine. I am talking minutes
of delays with WinCvs 1.3b7!! What about doing a diff on a file
comparing to a revision a few numbers back and using the ExamDiff
external diff utility? In my case that is the worst by far.
On a local LAN I get times in the minutes range with WinCvs 1.3b7 but
only 1-2 seconds with WinCvs 1.2 (only difference is the change of
WinCvs).

Someone suggested thta 1.3b6 was better and I was emailed a copy to
test. So far I have not been at work to do the test there, but here it
looks like it is way better than 1.3b7.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)