[Cvsnt] Re: Re: slow speed of WinCVS1.3b7

Leonid Krutyansky krut at orc.ru
Mon Mar 11 18:32:35 GMT 2002

>>Through the LAN with the same  CVSNT server. Both clients are on a very slow PC with W95:
>>WinCVS 1.3.7.1b7 -    7 s
>>WinCVS 1.2            4 s

crco> Your times look real good by comparison to mine. I am talking minutes
crco> of delays with WinCvs 1.3b7!! What about doing a diff on a file
crco> comparing to a revision a few numbers back and using the ExamDiff
crco> external diff utility? In my case that is the worst by far.
crco> On a local LAN I get times in the minutes range with WinCvs 1.3b7 but
crco> only 1-2 seconds with WinCvs 1.2 (only difference is the change of
crco> WinCvs).
In the above mentioned configuration I have almost the same for DIFF
(Ver1.15 and Ver1.13)
as I got for the graph (see above). But I use internal diff, I don't have the one
you mention. Note that the file is very short and I use it only for
testing. The changes between the versions are minimal - just few
comments.

crco> Someone suggested thta 1.3b6 was better and I was emailed a copy to
crco> test. So far I have not been at work to do the test there, but here it
crco> looks like it is way better than 1.3b7.
Do you think it is wincvs.exe who slows down?
Can you explain me the following: when I use WinCVS1.3 every command
of the shell results in a short DOS session. With WinCVS1.2 this
doesn't happen.

Leonia