[Cvsnt] Named pipe error

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Wed Mar 13 14:35:32 GMT 2002

How did you set your cvsroot? Like so:
:ntserver:machinename:d:/cvsrepo or similar?

I have seen this problem when I connect through a VPN to a remote location
(not your case though). In these cases I have had to map a drive letter to
a share on the remote server to make it work. Basically the ntserver uses
named pipes for authentication and if there is already a connection like
for a mapped drive then all is well. But otherwise authenticatition must be
made using the pipe.
What kind of network protocols do you have on the "same" machine?
And which operating system?
If you use W2000 and you don't have a network cable attached I suspect that
you will get this error if the only network protocol is TCP/IP because it
unloads completely when the network cable is pulled out. Some new Microsoft
idea introduced with W2000. To avoid that you must add the Microsoft Loopback
Network adapter and bind it to TCP/IP too. THen it will always stay loaded.

HTH

/Bo