[Cvsnt] Binary Files

Mudama, Eric eric_mudama at maxtor.com
Fri Mar 15 17:17:48 GMT 2002

One bit of wierdness regarding binary files.

On linux, extensions that are specified in the cvs config files as always
binary are case sensitive.

If you are connecting DOS-based clients to the linux archive, the dos client
attempts to check it in as the "preserved but not sensitive" case that is
used in DOS and NT.

This can result in some wierdness, especially once your dos box shifts into
compatibility mode.

I am not certain this is still an issue with CVSNT, as this wierdness was
with a port of old cvs 1.10 to windows a long time ago (2-3 year?).  I had
to basically put in all permutations of lowercase and capital for every
extension I knew was binary to guarantee they'd be recognized, which ended
up being a huge file.  (exe Exe eXe exE EXe eXE EXE anyone?)

What I *ALWAYS do after I checkin a file these days is compare it to the
original to prove to myself that I can extract it properly.

eric