R: [Cvsnt] aliasing as Admin

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Mon Mar 18 21:26:44 GMT 2002

Can't understand this either. Maybe it is because I don't know what
cvs admin is used for in the first place...
I tried adding an admin file and filling it with one user. Then I used
pserver and logged in as thta user and checked out CVSROOT.
Then in the sandbox I issued cvs admin -a tjatte (a nonexisting
username) and the server answered fine. But then I removed the user
from admin and tried again and it worked just fine anyway.
So it seems that tha admin file is not the way to restrict users from
operating the cvs admin command after all....

Maybe Tony knows more?

/Bo

Here is my session output:
C:\Sandbox\CVSROOT>cvs admin -a knatte
cvs server: Administrating .
RCS file: C:/CVSREPO/test/CVSROOT/checkoutlist,v
done
RCS file: C:/CVSREPO/test/CVSROOT/commitinfo,v
done
RCS file: C:/CVSREPO/test/CVSROOT/config,v
done
RCS file: C:/CVSREPO/test/CVSROOT/cvswrappers,v
done
RCS file: C:/CVSREPO/test/CVSROOT/editinfo,v
done
RCS file: C:/CVSREPO/test/CVSROOT/loginfo,v
done
RCS file: C:/CVSREPO/test/CVSROOT/modules,v
done
RCS file: C:/CVSREPO/test/CVSROOT/notify,v
done
RCS file: C:/CVSREPO/test/CVSROOT/rcsinfo,v
done
RCS file: C:/CVSREPO/test/CVSROOT/taginfo,v
done
RCS file: C:/CVSREPO/test/CVSROOT/verifymsg,v
done
cvs server: Administrating Emptydir

On Mon, 18 Mar 2002 17:58:43 +0000 (UTC), Alberto Barbati
<abarbati at ubisoft.it> wrote:

>> But first let me clarify the admin business, I did not refer
>> to the cvs admin
>> command in my postings, I was only talking about the
>> CVSROOT/admin file which
>> presumably controls who has rights to change the password of
>> others etc. This
>> I have not testsd myself though, because i am using only
>> ntserver at work (where
>> there are more developers than myself).
>
>Bo,
>
>thanks a lot for the detailed explanation of how "administrate" a
>CVS repository with ntserver, it was very interesting!
>
>By the way, I am still curious about the "cvs admin" command.
>I created a text file CVSROOT/admin and wrote the list of accounts
>that should be able to use "cvs admin". One username per line,
>ending each line with a new-line (including the last one!).
>No matter what, I always get the message:
>
>cvs [admin aborted]: usage is restricted to repository administrators
>
>I am using ntserver w/ impersonation and SystemAuth=Yes. Should the
>username be formatted in a particular way, to include the NT domain
>for example?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Alberto Barbati

(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)