R: [Cvsnt] aliasing as Admin

Tony Hoyle tmh at nothing-on.tv
Mon Mar 18 23:56:46 GMT 2002

Brian Smith wrote:
> If you look at the CVSNT changelog, you will see that Tony changed "cvs
> admin" so that it can only be executed by users in the Administrators
> group. I assume that means that you must be an administrator on the
> machine local to the cvs server.

If SystemAuth=Yes, then yes, otherwise only the admin file is consulted.

> BTW, I think it would be better to have CVSNT regognize the "CVS_ADMIN"
> group (or whatever it is called in unix cvs) for this authorization
> instead of the "Administrators" group. (a) for symmetry with the unix
> version, and (b) because the CVS admin might not be a member of
> "Administrators" but still have a enough privileges to effectively
> administer CVS.

It's a pain in the neck to set up and you just get lots of people
complaining that cvs is broken because it doesn't say they are an
administrator when they are... (been there, done that).

If you put users in the admin file they can be cvs admins without being
domain admins, which achieves what most people seem to want.