[Cvsnt] update weirdness

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sun Mar 24 22:09:35 GMT 2002

On Fri, 22 Mar 2002 23:12:05 +0000 (UTC), Tony Hoyle
<tmh at nothing-on.tv> wrote:

>Tim Diez wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> When I update a file that I have changed locally, it doesn't merge
>>the changes.  cvs will tell me it's been merged:
>> ===================
>> $ cvs up -A test.txt
>> M test.txt
>> ===================
>> but the file doesn't change.  Cvs never takes the file changes from the
>>repository version. The file always stays as the local version.
>>

>'M' means that file is locally modified but not committed to the
>repository.  It isn't supposed to change.
>
>Tony

Well,
if the file in the repository is a later revision than the one in the
sandbox surely update will change the sandbox file by merging. The
fact that the file is merged can be seen in the output too as a P (for
patched) in front of the name. M means locally modified which is still
true until you commit your changes.
But when this happens your local file revision will jump to the latest
revision in the repository too and then things will only change if
there are changes committed.
If you only see M then noone else has committed any changes to the
repository after your last update and you have the latest revision in
your sandbox and it is modified (by you).

(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)