[Cvsnt] update weirdness

Bo Berglund bosse at agiusa.com
Mon Mar 25 19:19:28 GMT 2002

Merging is the process of getting the changes from one place entered into
another.
Usually this means getting someone elses committed changes merged (or
patched) into
your local file. Here it sits for your examination until you are satisfied
it is a
good file and do the commit to the server.
At this time your changes are added to the ones done by the other party and
a new
revision is created on the repository.

There is another use of "merge" and that is when you have created a branch
on your
trunk and you have edited and committed one or a few files on the branch for
a while
until you think these files are good. At this point you want to merge the
file changes
back to the trunk into the head revision. This process is a bit complicated
especially
if there have been a number of commits done to both the branch and the
trunk.
CVS needs to apply your total changes on the branch to the revision you
checked out
as a branch originally and then propagate these changes along the trunk with
all of
the trunk changes intact until it reaches the HEAD. Chances are high that
there will
be conflicts along the way and you will have to resolve these.
Therefore, apparently, branches are not meant to be used extensively. All
main work
should be done on the trunk. Only if you have very special things to do that
may well
end up a blind alley should you use branches.
And keep them short-lived.

At least this is what I have learned. I have only used branches myself to
patch in a
needed bugfix on an old release where the customer could not use the most
recent
release. This bugfix was never merged back because the trunk was way ahead.
I simply
edited in the same fix on the HEAD revision manually.

/Bo