[Cvsnt] UNC in CVSROOT

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Mon Mar 25 21:59:33 GMT 2002

If you use UNC paths this implies you are serving the repository from
another machine. For example CVSNT runs on server1 and the repository
files are on server2 in a share named cvsroot. So that's why you want
to set up the location as \\server2\cvsroot\repos, right???

If correct then reconsider your topology!

You will get a CVS server that cannot properly manage the permissions
and locks of the files in the repository and you will probably soon se
a corrupted repository.

The whole idea with a client/server architecture is that the server
has the store and does the calculations serving out the result to the
clients. It is faster and safer. In this case you will see that the
server is a client too, subject to all the limitations of a client. I
say that if your files are on server2 then the CVSNT service should be
there too!

File system permissions and locking mechanisms are not working
reliable enough for critical stuff like a software source repository
if accessed this way.

/Bo

On Mon, 25 Mar 2002 20:51:46 +0000 (UTC), Adam Shand
<adams at pixelworks.com> wrote:

>I was excited to see the new ability in CVSNT which allows a portion of
>the CVSROOT to be hidden from the end user, however it specifically
>forbids using UNC as part of the CVSROOT.
>
>Is there a reason for this or is it just a feature that hasn't appeared
>yet :-)
>
>What I'd ideally like is for the CVSROOT to be:
>
>\\netapp\cvsroot\repos
>
>And then to hide the "\\netapp" part so clients can have a standardized
>way or accessing the CVS server.
>
>Thanks,
>Adam.

(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)