[Cvsnt] module question with pserver protocol

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Tue Mar 26 22:41:27 GMT 2002

Yes, you would create a new folder in the folder you happened to be in
when you issued the command. This new folder would be named 'mymodule'
and would contain *everything* from the repository module including
all subfolders.

If you want to check out a specific file it is very simple:
cvs co mymodule/sourcefiletocheckout

modules file
-------------
Normally not used! Only in special cases do you need to mess with the
modules file. For example if you have a source project which contains
some common stuff in a subfolder and now you want to create a new
project in which you want to use the common stuff from the old
project. In this case you create a new folder with the new project
files *except* the common stuff, then you add or import it to your
repository thus creating a cvs module, say named newproj1.
Then you check out CVSROOT to get at the modules file, you edit it by
adding a new definition of a module newproj where you specify the two
modules newproj1 and oldproj/common as follows:
common oldproj/common
newproj &newproj1 &common

Commit the changes to CVSROOT.
If you now check out 'newproj' then you will find that the sandbox
contains a folder 'newproj' with two folders named 'newproj1' and
'common' respectively (with all the files of course).

And CVS *is* smart enough to detect *and merge* the changes you have
locally with whatever you get from the repository. :-)

/Bo