[Cvsnt] how to set up user-aliases ? - error when rebuilding admin files

Matthias Mohr MMohr at SysDesign-EDV.de
Thu Mar 28 15:26:23 GMT 2002

> You can still edit it directly on the server.   What you can *not* do
> is make it part of the files that are managed by version control.
You mean, I have don't have to add a passwd to the CVSROOT
directory via "cvs add" ?
Instead I have to go to my server and create a file "passwd" at the
repository-directory at the  server ?
I think this is not practical :-(
And it is not like the unix-version of CVS works...

> That is an open security hole.
I can't see why this should be a security hole (if I don't store
passwords there, only aliases).
O.K. when that file is readable and passwords are stored there,
you can crack them...
But I only want to add aliases to existing NT-users (where the passwords
are not stored in the passwd-file).

Maybe the solution would be to add something similar to the "shadow"-concept ?
you can read the passwd-file, but there are no passwords stored, they will
be stored in a seperate file called "shadow", which is not part of the version control ?

with regards,
Matthias