[Cvsnt] CVSNT version 0.0.0.0????

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sat Mar 30 22:12:26 GMT 2002

On Sat, 30 Mar 2002 21:04:35 +0000 (UTC), "Jerzy Kaczorowski"
<jerzyk at wndtabs.com> wrote:

>Bo - nice invstigation ;)
>
>But let's not forget about cvs95.exe ;)

That's the one I am least interseted in because *all* of my users are
on some type of NT class machine. So I haven't even bothered to look
into that part. And sure enough, in this single program is a working
fileversion....

>For that you have to define the CVS95_FILEVERSION - which is surprisingly
>already in place in cvs95.rc2 ...
>#define CVS95_FILEVERSION CVSNT_FILEVERSION
>
>That is of course if you don't want to fine-tune the file versions. If you
>do, then you would need to define all the needed FILE defines just like
>there are PRODUCT defines now (eg.
>CVSNT_FILE_MAJOR,CVSNT_FILE_MINOR,CVSNT_FILE_PATCHLEVEL,CVSNT_FILE_RELEASE)
>
>And then use that for defining CVSNT_FILEVERSION and CVS95_FILEVERSION.
>
>Eventually it may not make sense to maitain separate defines for cvs95.exe
>and cvs.exe, and so change the cvs95.rc2 to use CVSNT_FILEVERSION as well.
>
>While at it - the protocol dlls don't seem to have version information at
>all.... ;)

Yes, I saw that and I thought they should too. But this involves
creating a resource file for all of them. So far I have only been
fiddling inside existing rc2 files.
If I add it to the dll:s then of course the next time I update to HEAD
it will all be gone....

By the way, the fileversion is a 64 bit integer divided into 4 x 16
bit words. According to Microsoft these are utilized as follows:
Major, Minor, Build, Private
In my Delphi environment Delphi autoincrements the last part, but
Borland have renamed them as:
Major, Minor, Release, Build
A bit confusing.

Anyway we are dealing with cvsnt 1.11.1.3 and added on top of that
also a build *string* (57b etc). It would have been nicer to be able
to use the last part as a build number that just increments away all
the time and then make sure that the protocol dll:s also are supplied
with this information. Then it would be easier to tell which files go
together. When I tested recently by changing the cvs.exe of cvsnt
without replacing the protocol dll:s I got an exception from cvs.exe.
Moving in the corresponding dll:s fixed this. So I think it is
definitely worthwhile to version the dll:s too, but we need a way to
get the builds in there too. Why not throw away the third item and get
this as cvsnt version:
1.11.3.58-1.11.3.59-1.11.3.60 etc?

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)