[Cvsnt] Which cvs.exe does what???

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sat Mar 30 09:23:46 GMT 2002

Tony,
I have merged the passwd.c file from HEAD into the release branch to
check up on the empty password handling. It now works OK but to get
there I had to do something I did not expect was necessary. Can you
please explain where what is done?
On my local machine I had the Alpha version build 59 running as a
service. The path points to the CVSNT directory of course.
On the NT4 test server I replaced the 57a version with the one with
the fix included. Then on a command prompt in my own machine I did the
following:
C:\test\castor>set cvsroot=:ntserver:castor:/test
C:\test\castor>cvs passwd -r bosse -a tom
Adding user tom at castor
New password:
cvs [passwd aborted]: A password must be supplied

A bit of a surprise to me. So I replaced my local cvsnt from alpha
build 59 to beta 57b (just compiled). And now the expected result was
there:
C:\test\castor>cvs passwd -r bosse -a tom
Adding user tom at castor
New password:
Verify password:

The passwd file now contains this line:
tom::bosse

Question:
I always thought that the local cvs program just would pass the
command over to the remote server and show the output from that to the
user, not involving itself in the handling of the command.
But this seems not to be the case since the local cvs.exe was not
updated with the passwd fix and it barfed at the empty password. The
server would not have complained.
So where is CVS processing actually done? On the client or on the
server? I am a bit confused now.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)