[Cvsnt] problems with CVS login

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sat Mar 30 18:21:45 GMT 2002

There are a number of suggestions here, look further down:

On Sat, 30 Mar 2002 18:00:56 +0000 (UTC), "Gene Glaudell"
<gglaudell at yahoo.com> wrote:

>When I run 'cvs login'  I get the following error:
>Program Error
>cvs.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows.  You will need
>to restart the program.
>An error log is being created.
>Dr. Watson shows an access violation for cvs.exe.
>I am trying to run a cvs client and server on the same Win2k Professional
>box.  Can I NOT do this.

Of course you can, you just need to set things up correctly.

>I suspected this to be so ... but nowhere in the documentation can I find a
>statement that says you cannot do this.
>CVSNT 1.11.1.3 Build 57a.

So you have installed CVSNT as a service on your laptop, fine. Have
you followed my advice posted here a week or so ago? If not then I
suggest you have a look at it and check up on your settings.
The title of my posting is: 'Installing CVSNT and making it work'

>I'm am running on my laptop with no domain ... just a local workgroup.  I'm
>running the client and server on the userid as I installed with which has
>full control of everything I knew to check.

Which client did you install? You did not say here. If it is WinCvs
then there are a few issues between the cvs.exe used by WinCvs and the
CVSNT cvs.exe thta have to be resolved.

>I have set CVSROOT in the User environment variable to :local:/c:/cvs

Don't use environment variables, set the connect string in the client
instead or directly in the command (-d option). You will have more
control.
AND: The root is incorrect! You should use
    :ntserver:<laptopname>:c:/cvs

>I have CVS for NT directory in the SYSTEM path variable.

I am guessing now, but did you let the setup install to the directory
c:\program files\cvs for NT\ or did you change this to
c:\programs\cvsnt???
I always recommend people NOT to install CVS programs of any kind to
directory search paths that contain spaces. Spaces can play bad tricks
on you...

>I'm using ntserver.

No, you are not after setting the cvsroot environment variable (see
above). What connection method is used depends entirely on how you set
the connection string AKA cvsroot. If it starts with :local: then you
will not be using the service at all.

>The service is running and restarts after the crash.
To be expected

>I just wanted to the simplest possible configuration to test and play with
>CVS on my laptop before installing on separate client and server machines

You are almost there, but I really recommend that you take alook at
the posting I mentioned above. It has solved install problems for many
users by the feedback I have received.

>Any suggestions would be appreciated.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)