[Cvsnt] Help regarding 'Advanced' Properties for CVSNT

Richard Willis rwillis at ctf.com
Wed May 1 01:27:14 BST 2002

Help regarding 'Advanced' Properties for CVSNT

1) What effect does enabling / disabling
    a) "Impersonation Enabled"
    b) "Use Local Users instead of domain"
have on the service and its connection to a remote (drive-letter)
repository ? What are they for?

<background>
I'm asking because I am getting strange behavior from my installation. I
have two machines DomainServer (DS) and Server/Workstation (SW). Both
are Win-2K. The Repository is on DS and the service is running on SW.
The service is setup to logon on my username/passwd (to allow mounted
drive letter access and to allow the service to access to remote
directory structure). I have both (a) and (b) turned off. I can checkout
modules when logged into SW, but I get a "permission denied" when trying
from a 3rd Win-2K machine (3rd machine is connecting to the service on
SW). The authentication is ntserver.
Turning (a) and (b) on and off does not affect the 3rd machine...

2) ntserver is passing user info to the service (I don't know what).
Does the service pass this info on to the DS containing the repository
when trying to access file there (eg /CVSROOT), or substitute its own
user info? What type of permission should be setup for the repository.?

3) As I understand it, There will be two user authentication requests to
the Domain server, one for the initial contact with the service, and one
generated by the service itself when it trys to access files in the
repository. Is this correct?

    I hope that was not too confusing. Thanks in advance for any
feedback.
    - Richard