[Cvsnt] How to ignore certain files...

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed May 1 20:09:14 BST 2002

Disregarding your real question... ;-]
What you are attempting is really not a good idea!
The working file space should be a private area on each individual
computer (local disk), so in your case you should check ot the project
on the PC to a sandbox located on C:\Projects for example and on the
Mac to a local space on its disk.
The reason is that PC and Mac uses different formatting of text files
and if you check out using the PC and then try to work with the files
from a Mac you will get all kinds of problems. On the other hand the
CVS system client on both PC and Mac knows how to handle this
correctly so if you have two checked out copies you are fine.
After all CVS was designed for concurrent development from different
participants on different platforms.

And also: WinCvs works particularly slownly and eats masses of
resources if its workspace is on a networked drive. You will se great
performance improvements by moving the sandbox to a local drive.

/Bo
PS: Sorry for not answering what you asked, but I feel the above is
far more important. DS

On Wed, 1 May 2002 18:21:26 +0000 (UTC), Egil Helland <egil at egil.net>
wrote:

>With my current cvs nt install, I use a mac as well as a PC to check out
>files to the same directory for testing (on a web server). That is, I
>have used a pc until now, and am going to start using a mac as well.
>However, when a mac goes to a networked disk, it creates a duplicate of
>each file as a resource file, eg. if you have a file called index.asp,
>it creates a new one called ._index.asp when accessing it the first
>time. In this file the mac stores metadata about the file.
>
>When I use this same network area for both machines, how can I get
>wincvs and cvs to ignore all these resource files? is it possible? I was
>thinking of the cvsignore file, but have not found any info on how to
>use it. Any ideas?
>
>Just to restate what I want: Get cvs to skip all files starting with ._
>
>Regards,
>

>Egil
>
>--
>egil helland / it consultant (mcse, web technology)
>web: ikon.as / egil.net

(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)