[Cvsnt] Can't start CVS NT Service from panel

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sun May 5 21:51:46 BST 2002

On Fri, 3 May 2002 17:15:25 +0000 (UTC), Richard Willis
<rwillis at ctf.com> wrote:

>Access Denied :
>    I believe that you need admin privaleges to start services. Check
>that out.
>
>additional info ...
>
>Local directory :
>    The service must have permissions for the folder containing the
>repository. By default, CVSforNT service runs at SYSTEM level. Make sure
>the folder has full read-write access for SYSTEM. The alternative is to
>change the service to use a user account that has access to the folders.

But then this user account must also have the priviliges to
impersonate other users, which I don't think many have....

>Remote Directory :
>    As far as I can tell, CVSforNT cannot access Letter-mounted drives
>(E,F,...) from other machines. This may be due to the fact that the
>service does not know about these mapped network drives, as they are
>created uniquely for each user. If anyone has managed to get this to
>work, I would sure like to hear about it!.

This is a bad idea because the server loses his tight control of the
files he is managing. The end result might be repository corruption,
something that AFAIK never happens on local repositories with CVS.

>Service Advanced Settings :
>    If the login accounts are controlled by a Domain Server, then you
>should check OFF the "Use local users instead of domain" box. Otherwise,
>the user logging in must have an account on that machine.
>
>   - Richard

>Chris Kelly wrote:
>
>> I've installed CVS NT and set up CVS respositories but
>> when I try to start it as a service, I get an error.
>>
>> "Couldn't start service, access denied".
>>
>> Why is this?
>>
>> If I start the service from dos prompt, the service
>> starts but when I try to login using pserver, I get
>> bounced out straight away
>>
>> i.e. cvs [login aborted]: recv() from server
>> localhost: Connection reset by peer
>>
>> Does anybody have any ideas?

(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)