[Cvsnt] Newbie question....How to get repository versions from CVS onto production

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Mon May 6 23:09:33 BST 2002

On Mon, 6 May 2002 15:47:16 +0000 (UTC), "Roumel Bobadilla"
<Roumel.Bobadilla at aa.com> wrote:

>System:
>cvs: cvsnt, NT4 SP6
>client: JCVS
>
>Extreme newby here,
>I'm trying to make a build for our production server (web server, NT)
>and don't know how to. I keep getting these files with the ',v'
>extension in cvs root.
>Do I need to check the files out to another repository on the cvs
>server and then upload?
>Please help. Thanks.

You need to read up on how to use CVS, because you are completely
ruining the system by the looks of your question.
There is a really sharp border between the repository (on the server)
and the workspace (on the clients). The ,v files are the sacred
repository files which contain all of the file history and all the
previous versions. These files should NEVER be touched bya anyone else
but the CVS service itself.
I always tell people to put the repository on a separate partition or
disk on the server and hide it from view by not allowing a single user
share on that drive. Noone should ever be allowed access to the
repository files directly (for example using Windows Explorer)!!
All work is done in checked out working copies of the module files,
preferably located on the local hard disk of the workstation. All
edits are then committed to the server when they are in a stable state
(or even every night even if they are not stable).
But as I said: NEVER touch the ,v files directly!

Here are some links for your reference reading:
http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/
http://www.devguy.com/fp/cfgmgmt/cvs/
http://www.cvsnt.org/pipermail/cvsnt/2002-March/004046.html

/Bo