[Cvsnt] server setup with repository on a network share

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed May 15 00:54:06 BST 2002

The account that runs the cvsnt service does not have any permissions
to go out on the network, so putting the repository on a network share
will fail. It is also very dangerous because the tight control over
the repository files that cvsnt has on a local disk is not there on a
network resource.
It *is* possible to use network shares as repositories, but it is
discouraged. If you really *must* do it then you need to reconfigure
the cvsnt service to use another account than SYSTEM and also to make
the share available for this other account. Drive letters are not
persistent.....
Really, put the repository on the local disk and get a stable system!

/Bo

On Tue, 14 May 2002 20:34:10 +0000 (UTC), "Wagner, Dean"
<WagnerD1 at diebold.com> wrote:

>I know this has been covered in several messages in the archives, but none
>seem to give me quite what I'm looking for.
>
>I am running cvsnt from an NT system at my desk.  I am running wincvs 1.3 on
>a 2000 system that is also on my desk, with both connected to the corporate
>LAN.  I am trying to use ntserver for communications.
>
>If I put the repository on my NT system, everything works fine.  I can
>checkout from my 2000 system with no problems.  My client can access the
>files directly using local communications, so it's possible to access the
>files on that drive.  When I move the repository onto my network share with
>ntserver, I get error messages.  By playing with different settings, I've
>managed to get 3 different error messages, depending on the settings, but I
>haven't managed to get it working with no errors.  What needs to be
>configured differently when the repository is on a network share for
>ntserver?  Does the client need to be configured differently, or the server,
>or both?  Do I have to configure NTFS settings for the drive on the server?
>How about the server that is serving the network share?  Does anything there
>need configured differently?
>
>I apologize if this information is provided somewhere, I could have missed
>it.  However, I've been spinning my wheels for some time and my
>understanding of what needs done hasn't measurably increased, so I thought
>I'd write to see if I could get some help.
>
>Dean Wagner

(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)