[Cvsnt] cvs login works using "-d" but not with equivalent CVSROOT env. v ar.

Sawin, Jim Jim_Sawin at Maxtor.com
Fri May 17 19:44:21 BST 2002

I have a user that is having difficulty logging in to our cvs server from
one of his PCs.  He's running Win2000.

The odd thing is that he can successfully login if he uses the "-d" global
option on the command-line, but he gets an error if he lets cvs use the
CVSROOT environment variable (defined to be the same repository path):

> CVSROOT=:pserver:UserFoo at serverFoo:f:\cvs\cvsroot
> cvs login
Logging in to :pserver:UserFoo at serverFoo:2401f:\cvs\cvsroot
CVS password: ***
Fatal error, aborting.
UserFoo: no such user

> cvs -d :pserver:UserFoo at serverFoo:f:\cvs\cvsroot login
Logging in to :pserver:UserFoo at serverFoo:2401f:\cvs\cvsroot
CVS password: ***

This is being done from an empty directory, and there is no .cvsrc file.

What's going on here?  I asked him to repeat using the "-t" option, but that
did not give any more useful information.

Jim