[Cvsnt] CVSROOT Directory: In every Module Repository?

Richard Mahn RICHMAHN at sarmc.org
Fri May 24 16:54:48 BST 2002

I submitted a question about this last week, but saw no response.

When you first import a new module to the repository, should there be a directory called CVSROOT in EACH module's directory (e.g. c:\cvs\saweb\cvsroot, c:\cvs\myprog\cvsroot), not just the root repository directory (c:\cvs\cvsroot)?   This directory does NOT get created when I do a "cvs -import".  This doesn't seem to be needed for command line cvs to ci or co.  However, with CVSWEB, if I try to get the contents of a file, it says that there is no CVSROOT directory for the module.  Should there?  Here is the error in the web browser:

---------
Error: Unexpected output from cvs co: cvs [checkout aborted]: C:/cvs/saweb/CVSROOT: No such file or directory
Check whether the directory C:/cvs/saweb/CVSROOT exists and the script has write-access to the CVSROOT/history file if it exists.
The script needs to place lock files in the directory the file is in as well.
cvs -dC:/cvs/saweb co -p -r1.1 "common/adovbs.inc"
---------

There is an option in the CVSWEB config file to hide CVSROOT directories, so does that mean each module SHOULD have its own CVSROOT directory?  I don't get why, if that is the directory where the password file is for the entire repository, etc.  If I should have a CVSROOT directory, is there a way for me to have it automatically created, rather than copying c:\cvs\cvsroot into every module manually (e.g. c:\cvs\saweb\cvsroot)?  I would think this is not a good idea, but it seems to make CVSWEB happy.

-Rich