[Cvsnt] How do I setup pserver?

Ivancic, Nikolaj nivancic at lumicyte.com
Sun May 26 20:00:33 BST 2002

Tony Hoyle's post (below) is very indicative of the "general state of
the affairs" amongst the CVS society. It's really disappointing to spend
weeks trying to get this simple distributed application to work, and to
give up, realizing that for effort spent on this it would be less
expensive to buy a "real product" with a real price.

Documentation is simply abysmal, despite valiant efforts from people
like Bo - there are way too many various documents, all making
contradictory (to other similar documents) claims, and none being really
complete. This is actually pretty fascinating, if it's true that most if
not all of the users participating in this newsgroup are programmers.
There are no definitions of the protocols being used (to the best of my
knowledge, of course), while such documents could explain so much more
than a series of recipe-like documents, floating everywhere around. It
seems that each person trying to install a CVS client server setup felt
the need to publish their own "how-to" cook book, clearly supporting the
point I am making here.

My case is different in this last sentence, so instead writing my own
recipe, I decided that CVS is simply too difficult to install. This is
just too bad, since it's not just to Tony and his crew who must have
spent a great effort to create the software; at the same time, it also
clearly indicates that no software is any good without a solid set of
manuals (in this case, I am referring to the installation manuals; just
consider the case in question, described in the subject line of this
post: a guy asks how on earth one can create a file with the name
.passwd, some else creates a Win2K specific trick for that, only to find
out how for some time CVSNT does not even read this file).

So, maybe PRCS is the answer - I will let you know :-)

Nik