[Cvsnt] How to add newsserver to XP-Pro?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed May 29 07:32:20 BST 2002

On Wed, 29 May 2002 00:34:53 +0000 (UTC), Tony Hoyle
<tmh at nothing-on.tv> wrote:

>On Wed, 29 May 2002 00:18:44 +0100, Bo Berglund wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately it looks like Microsoft decided that NNTP must only exist
>> on a *server* class machine, so this component is not available to me on
>> my Workststion (XP-Pro). I found this out by scouting usenet on
>> microsoft.public.inetserver.iis.smtp_nntp
>>
>> Looks like I am out of luck here :-(
>>
>Look for a program called 'ntswitch'.
>
>It makes your XP Pro think it's XP Server.  You can then install NNTP,
>then switch it back again.
>
>Tony

Microsoft lawyers got to them...
"NTSwitch removed due to legal considerations"...
But then again, XP exists only in Home and Professional editions,
server has yet to appear. The NTswitch program worked on W2000.

I guess I have to find a good enough PC box and install W2K server
from my MSDN CD:s on it to test the NNTP stuff. Wonder what can be
used as a W2K server, my old retired PC is a 300 MHz machine with 5Gb
disk - will it cope?

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)