[cvsnt] Can't add users to cvs after initial install

KKolle at gkservices.com KKolle at gkservices.com
Fri Nov 1 21:06:09 GMT 2002

I have downloaded and installed cvsnt today on Windows2000.
I'm trying to add myself as a user to CVS (I'm an administrator of the box) and
I get the following error:
     cvs [server aborted]: Only administrators can add users
I'm using this command line: cvs passwd -a <your NT username>

I have reviewed the following text from the cvsnt.org site and I have created an
admin file under d:\cvsrepo\test\cvsroot. I didn't use an extension on this
file, but it shows up as a text file. I have one line in this file. The line is
kkolle. I've also tried, kevin. Neither one works.

     Administrating the repository, users with admin rights

     There have been a number of reports that people have not been able to add
users or execute the cvs admin command even though they were           members
of the Administartors group or even of Domain Admins. In order to avoid this
there is a simple way to manage who will have admin rights   on the CVSNT
server. It is done through the CVSROOT/admin file.
     Here is how to:
        Create a text file called admin (no extension) inside the CVSROOT
        directory of the repository.
        Edit this file by adding on separate lines the login names of the users
        you want to give administrative priviliges on the CVS server.
     The file could look like this:
     charlie
     jennifer
     john

     Now each of these users are able to add new users, change their passwords
and use the cvs admin command.

What other step am I missing or what other information can I give to you, to
help debug this problem?

Thanks!
Kevin