[cvsnt] Re: sspi from Win98 clients?

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Mon Nov 4 15:08:12 GMT 2002

> I changed it from secur32.dll to security.dll ages ago, after someone
> complained it didn't work with XP...
>
> I need to change it back again, as the change doesn't work with Win9x.

Ah, so this should actually have been part of the CVSNT distribution? I had
been assuming it was a system DLL that should be part of the OS. In that
case I guess I should have addressed this to the WinCvs guys. I wasn't using
a full CVSNT installation on that client, just WinCvs 1.3b9. There's no
trace of either file name you mentioned on that machine.

> Also you can't do sspi encryption with Win9x - aparently if you try it
> it crashes the kernel requiring a reboot.

Yes, I saw that. Didn't remember exactly what caused it but now you mention
it...
It was just what I was expecting from 9x though, so nevermind... ;)

> The number of people who've noticed this, though, is still in single
> figures, so I wonder whether it's worth supporting Win9x for much
> longer... probably I'll do a bugfix release then release it as the
> definitive Win9x version.

I'm pretty sure 9x clients are still relatively widely used, especially on
older hardware (such as my second-hand 300MHz notebook ;).

Cheers,

Oliver
JID: ogiesen at jabber.org
ICQ: 18777742