[cvsnt] R: [cvsnt] Re: performance

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Tue Nov 5 01:02:39 GMT 2002

On Mon, 04 Nov 2002 16:28:43 +0100, Alberto Barbati wrote:

> What is a LockServer? I guess it is related with that big "Start" button
> under the label "CVS Locking service" on the new CVS panel. I feel the
> strong urge to enable it ;-) Is there something important I should now
> before I do that?

It maintains a list of live locks on the repository.  The advantage is
that if an instance of cvs crashes, all its locks disappear
automatically...  it's also a lot faster, since it doesn't have to recurse
through the filesystem to set locks (also, you can have multiple read
locks on the same directory which is handy if there's a lot of load).

To enable it just comment out any LockDir line in the CVSROOT/config and
add LockServer=localhost.

It's actually possible to write a program tha monitors changes to the
repository in real time using this, but nobody's done it yet.