[cvsnt] required access rights to the raw repository

John Peacock jpeacock at rowman.com
Tue Nov 5 19:16:49 GMT 2002

Bernhard Weichel wrote:
> I need to place the raw repository files on a network share which basically
> can be accessed by all users. We have a local group which would allow me
> control access rights. I want to use this also for controlling the access to
> the repository via CVS server.

I don't think you understand how client/server CVS works; the repository never
requires access by any user except the server process.  In fact, you _will_
corrupt your repository if you allow multiple people to access it via local:
(which you say you want to prevent in any case).  The repository belongs on a
drive that is local to the server, never on a share.

Tell us what you want to actually accomplish, rather than how you think you need
to go about accomplising it.  Normally, each user has their own sandbox (checked
out modules) and only interacts with the server process, which actually updates
the repository itself.

John

--
John Peacock