[cvsnt] required access rights to the raw repository

Anders Truelsen at at systematic.dk
Wed Nov 6 09:35:06 GMT 2002

This is a no-go.

It has been stated numerous times (by Tony Hoyle, the maintainer of
CVSNT) that the server must have direct access to the drives hosting the
repository due to the nature of CVS' file operations.
Using a network share is asking for trouble. Corruption of the RSC files
is the likely outcome over time.

You must equip myappsvr with adequate disks and include it in the backup
circus.
There should be _no_ direct access to the drive holding the repository.

> 3. each developer has his sandbox, lets say on C:
>
>    c:\myproject

That is a genuinely good idea :-)
Workspaces should always be on local not shared drives.

>    The project manager will perform CVS update on the reference-copy
on a
> regular basis (perhaps controlled by a scheduler.

This you can accomplish with CVSNTUpd hooked into loginfo.

> For this purpose, he will also map
>
>    x: will be mapped to \\fs007\myproject\reference-copy

Good Luck!
/anders