[cvsnt] taginfo execution problem

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed Nov 6 22:16:59 GMT 2002

I also had this experience when a directory contained upwards of 300
files and all with pretty long names. Taginfo passes a list of the
affected files on the command line to the specified program and when
the total length of the command string goes above some limit the
taginfo processing (in cvs) fails.
Question:
Where is this error generated? Is it generated as an exception inside
the cvs taginfo processing or is it generated when cvs tries to start
whatever program is specified in taginfo with this long command
string? (This means that the error comes from Windows rather than from
cvs).
I am curious because I really am not convinced that the error is a
problem in the command processor of Windows, it may well be a problem
in the length of the string buffer assigned by cvs to hold the command
line parameters. If so then a simple extension of this buffer should
make it work.

Tony, can you tell us which module is actually compiling the command
line string and starting the program pointed to by taginfo? I would
like to have a look myself.

/Bo

On Wed, 06 Nov 2002 14:11:32 GMT, tmh at nodomain.org (Tony Hoyle) wrote:

>On Wed, 6 Nov 2002 12:01:41 +0100, "Issberner, Sven 3767 S-PP-RD-E3"
><Sven.Issberner at heidelberg.com> wrote:
>
>>I have the following problem:
>>
>>after updating the CVS server to the newest version (Build 57j)
>>my taginfo script, what was working fine before, now fails. WinCvs=20
>>displays the message:
>>
>>	The following character string is too long:
>>
>This is a limitation of the cmd.exe on NT.  I'm not sure any
>definitive solution was ever decided...  it only affects taginfo I
>think due to the way it's called.  The taginfo call probably needs to
>work like commitinfo, long term.
>
>Playing around with COMSPEC might help (possibly pointing it to 4dos
>or bash).
>
>Tony

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)