[cvsnt] Troubleshooting CVS speed

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Fri Nov 15 19:05:32 GMT 2002

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002 16:35:51 GMT, tmh at nodomain.org (Tony Hoyle) wrote:

>On Fri, 15 Nov 2002 14:59:44 -0000, David Stebbings
><David.Stebbings at OK-Mail.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Are there any docs on troubleshooting a slow CVS server to find where the
>>delays are occuring?
>>
>>Ours is slow for most things (except edit/unedit) but CVS reports it's bit
>>as being finished very quickly, but WinCVS doesn't return to useablility for
>>a long time
>>
>Try it from the command line.  If that completes reasonably quickly
>then it's a WinCVS problem, otherwise is's a cvnst issue.
>
>I can't think of anything that would slow a client down in the way you
>describe, though.
>
>Tony

I have a similar case:
Server accessed through VPN (500 kbps ADSL on my side, 800 kbps DSL on
the other side) via Internet.
Server running CVSNT 57j
Client WinCvs 1.3b10 and also using CVSNT 57j binaries

If I make a diff in WinCvs on a not so big pascal source file from the
graph window I have to wait many minutes for the thing to appear.
But doing a cvs diff on the command line finishes very quickly.

I have WinCvs set to use ExamDiff for the diffs so there is a need to
check out both versions from the server and plug them into ExamDiff.

I cannot for the life of me understand why this happens, but manually
stopping the CVS window on the taskbar immediately brings up ExamDiff
with the files, but usually one file is truncated.

I am talking about delays of 5-6 minutes here when a checkout of the
file in question takes about 5 seconds if done manually.

Any clues anyone?
(I have learned not to do this, instead I will check out the file to
another place and make a manual diff by loading this file and the
workfile into ExamDiff.)

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)